As Oklahoma’s oldest national park area, Chickasaw National Recreation Area has been a destination for outdoor excursions for over a century. The park had its beginnings in 1902 when the government purchased 640 acres from the Chickasaw Nation to protect the mineral and freshwater springs. Additional acreage was added by 1906 and renamed Platt National Park. In 1976, Platt National Park and Arbuckle Recreation Area (with 2,350-acre Lake of the Arbuckles) and additional lands joined to form the Chickasaw National Recreation Area.
Visitors to Chickasaw get two parks in one – the Platt National Park Historic District and Lake of the Arbuckles. This area offers a variety of activities all year. Informational exhibits about the park’s natural and cultural resources are featured in the Travertine Nature Center.
Images and Content from TravelOK.com